Welcome to the Instructional Design: The Looking Glass of Learning blog


Welcome to the Instructional Design: The Looking Glass of Learning blog. Although we will not be discussing the theories behind Lewis Carroll's meaning of Alice's adventures beyond the rabbit hole, we will however be able to take this opportunity to share educational feedback, theories and philosophies pertaining to Instructional Design, learning practices and ideologies openly.



The purpose of this blog is to keep our creative thoughts following and partake in thought provoking discussions that allow each us to learn even more about ourselves, one another and the worlds in which we teach and learn.



Making eLearning Design Look Easier

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Connectivism



In Connectivism, Davis, Edmunds & Kelly-Bateman (2008) quote Siemens's (2005)definition on connectivism as follows:
...connectivism is driven by the understanding that decisions are based on rapidly altering foundations. New information is continually being acquired and the ability to draw distinctions between important and unimportant information is vital. Also critical is the ability to recognize when new information alters the landscape based on decisions made yesterday.


At times, we may not even realize that it only takes a moment to attain knowledge or learn something new or build on something you already know from someone else. Based upon this small snap shot of my network, or “mind map”, it confirms that I, like many, have access to various methods and means of knowledge attainment and/or learning. From previous learning experiences, I have found that the best way for me to learn is kinesthetically or visually. Some virtual tools to facilitate my learning are those that allow self-pacing (e.g. online courses, untimed eLearning courses) and are interactive. However, at times, asking questions is the most upfront method, yet it may not always be to most effective or efficient.

With this respect, I find that building from the feedback or information provided or attained from others enables me to branch off on my own to investigate or research further. From this method I tend to attain additional knowledge then what was initially intended. For instance, I may refer to a fellow colleague or a peer regarding a specific topic of interest (e.g. social intelligence). In approaching my colleague it is made apparent to me that the questions I am posing are being met with lack of enthusiasm in the responses unmasked by simple phrases such as “I’m not certain”. If minimal information is being provided, I tend to utilize the minimal information as a stepping stone and move forward onto researching the topic of interest through other facets or branches of my network, or mind map. In this particular scenario, I may pull from my higher education and web-based community branches generating interest around how to obtain the information (whether by hardcopy or online references).

If not for these very connections created within my network, I may not be at the level of knowledge attainment I am at today. The following are highlights of each aspect of my mind map and how it relates to the greater connection of networking, learning and knowledge attainment:

Social Impacts: Co-Educational Organization

This aspect allowed for diversity in relationships in turn building diversity in thought and expression. As I continue to build diverse relationships the expansion of my knowledge grows. Such relationships aid in my growth professionally, socially, and most importantly personally which opens the door to more networking.

Institutionalized Learning: Higher Education

For some, higher education provides a gateway to knowledge that was untapped or unforeseen. Yet, for me, the realm of higher education paved the way to additional avenues that were not planned through a curriculum. A majority of my knowledge base was derived primarily through the face-to-face relationships created within various social settings or surroundings. The high educational institution was the key to unlock such a door of opportunity to a “group think” community.

Higher education also provides an arena to allow focus on a particular interest of study (e.g. major or minor). As an undergraduate, Sociology was my selected choice of study. Since Sociology focused on the study of people and the various social microcosms, it sharpened my observational and analytical skills making it an easier transition in understanding or applying psychological concepts to the sociological world, and now the Instructional Design realm.

Connection to web-based communities

The introduction to web-based communities has been extremely revolutionary. Such tools as Facebook, YouTube, Wikipedia and other social networking online environments provide additional avenues to knowledge-based information or circuits. For instance, Google.com provides the opportunity for an online user to express their thoughts and intermingle with others on the same or similar platform through RSS (Real Simple Syndication) feeds. Through such a venture personal connections may be created to enhance the learning experience or enable additional methods or modes of knowledge attainment. This, also, aids in additional networking and ongoing connectivism.

Professional World: Corporate Training Professional

With the previously noted in mind, I am able to face and tackle various instructional design challenges in regards to training and development in the work place. At times, I pull from each aspect of my mind map to gain a better perspective on how to best meet a goal or handle a situation. When focusing on training and development, the utilization of my knowledge in the web-based communities and higher education areas compliments my creativity and innovation to ensure I am presenting the best solution for the adult learner.


Overall, I have come to a greater understanding of and respect for the varying learning theories and concepts and how they may apply to my role as an Instructional Designer and a continuous learner. I am allowing myself to learn more and more each day as I continue my journey with Walden University; a journey that I am happy to be able to add to my mind map of connectivism.

What are your thoughts? What does your mind map reveal about you and your learning style, approach or knowledge attainment? Do you think through this brief overview we would be linked by one another's networks? Much like 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon, I would think we would be and if not it would only be a short period of time before we crossed one another's paths.

No comments: